Monday, March 14, 2011

On Immediacy

Quoting Helen Frankenthaler: "A really good picture looks as if it's happened at once. It's an immediate image. For my own work, when a picture looks labored and overworked, and you can read in it--well, she did this and then she did that, and then she did that--there is something in it that has not got to do with beautiful art to me. And I usually throw these out, though I think very often it takes ten of those over-labored efforts to produce one really beautiful wrist motion that is synchronized with your head and heart, and you have it, and therefore it looks as if it were born in a minute."

This quote was written by one of my favorite artists of all time, and I agree.

I think good art comes fast. The stroke of a wrist, the gesture, the impulse, as if by sweet surprise. It's not supposed to look like it was a laborious process, although it is. It's supposed to look like it was fun, and if you stay true to the impulse that got yourself in that mess in the first place, it will be.

I had a professor in college who said, "It's a long preparation for a few moments of innocence". I couldn't agree with him more, and I find now as I am getting more experience, coming into what I want and think and have to say, I find an immense amount of truth in this statement. The long preparation is your life. The innocence is the fact that you kept trying, you kept showing up, you kept holding on as if you knew that glimpse of something real and true deep inside of you would alas come to express itself in the raw moment of genuine energy. You knew this feeling was untouchable and necessary.

True creativity can't be taught. True artistry can't be formulated, packaged and labeled. It's not that easy. You know it or you don't and that's the truth. And if you need it bad enough, if it's in your soul and you will have it no other way than to see it come alive and it's your destiny, it will. You have to be brave. You have to show up. You have to let it go.

There are no words for this release. The results speak for themselves.




No comments:

Post a Comment