Thursday, November 3, 2011

What is Art?

I don’t believe in labels or in limiting yourself in any regard. Genius flourishes in a free and safe environment. It is my goal to create a space where natural gifts emerge. I also believe that art is work. It doesn’t just happen nor should you ever wait for inspiration to strike. You work whether you feel like it or not because you have faith in your calling. If you’re lucky, inspiration comes, usually in the heat of the moment. The more you are willing to begin, to show up and work, the more prepared you are for the magic to unfold. Consistent disciplined work is the best ingredient for creativity. In my process I go with an impulse, I follow what strikes me. It can be anything. I usually have a vague idea, a feeling, a sense that is a point of departure for the work to begin. Often times, I realize what the piece is about after I’ve made it. Making art for me is about stepping into my emotion and intuition, processing my reality, and transforming my space. I believe great art is the mastery of intention and feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment